Wednesday, October 05, 2005

ASPROM

Recently, I joined ASPROM - The Association for the Study and Preservation of Roman Mosaics. I do Late Roman re-enactment, and this last season took up mosaic making, which means that I am a tessellaria! I'm still learning, of course, and reckoned it was worth me joining ASPROM, at least for a year. Today, I got a nice package through the post, including some back numbers of the Mosaic Journal I purchase. But also included was complimentary copy of this year's Mosaic, and recent Newsletters, which I wasn't expecting.

There are plenty of late Roman mosaics in Yorkshire (eg. Rudston), so I'm well covered on that front. The main problem is finding local sources of material. I have some Roman tile, but stone is more of a problem. This year, I've mostly used marble, ordered from Italy, but I need some nice local limestone to play with.

No comments: